Fancy Brussels Sprouts
This is a simple and tasty way to dress up brussels sprouts for the holidays. The parsley, sugar and crisp water chestnuts make the sprouts fresh tasting and festive looking. -Dorothy Anderson, Ottawa, Kansas
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 2 pints fresh brussels sprouts or 4 cups frozen brussels sprouts, thawed
- 1 can (8 ounces) water chestnuts, drained and diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring the water, parsley, sugar and salt if desired to a boil. Add brussels sprouts. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 6-8 minutes or until tender. Drain; add water chestnuts and butter and heat through.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 67 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 34mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Fancy Brussels Sprouts in Taste of Home December/January 1996
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.