- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (46 ounces) tomato juice
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 cups frozen cut green beans
- 2 cups each finely chopped celery, cabbage and carrots
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- .52 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook the beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours. Yield: 14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Reviews forFamily Vegetable Beef Soup
"My Family LOVES this soup!"
"This was great and even better the next day."
"Love it but here are a few changes I make just to make it even more of a pantry meal:I substitute beef broth with one can of tomato paste instead of the tomato juice. Lower sodium and always in my pantry.Also, I usually have shredded zucchini in my freezer so I throw 2 c. of that in instead of the cabbage.Either way, it's a great soup!"
"This is a healthy, fulfilling recipe that we keep coming back to. My kids DO love it (even after much protesting otherwise), and I love that it is so nourishing!"
"I thought this was wonderful! Very happy with the results and will be making it again!"
"Next time I will I cut down the beef to 1 lb and add cubed potatoes."
"One of the best soups I have ever made. I did make a few changes to it. I only added 1 pound ground beef, used a 10 oz. can of sliced mushrooms and I left out the green beans. I added 2 1/2 cups celery and 3 cups each carrots and cabbage, I also used 2 cloves minced garlic in stead of the garlic powder and only added 3/4 teaspoon salt. Will make soup again!"
"I added some water to the recipe."