VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 5 pounds red potatoes
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) sour cream
- Cook potatoes in boiling water until tender; drain and cool.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine sugar, flour, salt, mustard and pepper. Add vinegar and water; bring to a boil. Boil and stir for 2 minutes. Add a small amount to eggs; return all to the pan. Cook and stir for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes or until mixture is thickened and a thermometer reads 160°. Refrigerate until cooled.
- Peel potatoes if desired; slice and place in a large bowl. Add onions. Stir sour cream into dressing; pour over potato mixture and toss to coat. Yield: 16-18 servings.
Originally published as Old-Fashioned Potato Salad in Taste of Home June/July 1998, p18