Family-Pleasing Turkey Chili Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-3/4 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Optional toppings: reduced-fat sour cream and minced fresh cilantro
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, cook the turkey, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- 2. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the tomatoes, kidney beans, black beans, broth, corn, tomato paste, chili powder, pepper, cumin and garlic powder.
- 3. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until heated through. Serve with optional toppings if desired. Yield: 6 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
1-1/2 cups (calculated without optional toppings): 349 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 725mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 12g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 vegetable.
Reviews for Family-Pleasing Turkey Chili
"This recipe is fantastic!!!! The name of the recipe says it all...definitely a family pleasing favorite!I do not add the corn & sometimes I add 1 to 3 tablespoons of McCormick's chili powder, depending of how spicy we want it. And I do different variations of beans. Pinto, white with kidney. Or Kidney, white & pinto or black beans.My son who has always been a picky eater loves this chili!! In addition to the cheese, sour cream, cilantro, & onions, we add chili cheese Fritos. It is great without the toppings as well along with homemade cornbread. Yummy good!!!"
"I thought this was a decent base, but will need some tweaking. I only used 1/2 tbsp of chili powder and since I prefer a thicker chili I drained the tomatoes and only used about 1/3 of the can of chicken broth. I think next time I will add in some garlic salt (I didn't taste much garlic) and some other various spices (haven't figured out what yet). Otherwise, a decent, solid chili. We put ours over rice and top with cheddar cheese. Yum!"
"This is my families favorite chili recipe. My husband loves this makes it at least twice a month."
"This is a very simple and great tasting . healthy"
"Very easy to make and yummy."
"Very good & easy to make."
"Very good, will make again. Thanks for the recipe."
"Very delicious & very easy to make"