Family-Pleasing Turkey Chili Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-3/4 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Optional toppings: reduced-fat sour cream and minced fresh cilantro
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, cook the turkey, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- 2. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the tomatoes, kidney beans, black beans, broth, corn, tomato paste, chili powder, pepper, cumin and garlic powder.
- 3. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until heated through. Serve with optional toppings if desired. Yield: 6 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
1-1/2 cups (calculated without optional toppings): 349 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 725mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 12g fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 vegetable.
Reviews for Family-Pleasing Turkey Chili
"This recipe is fantastic!!!! The name of the recipe says it all...definitely a family pleasing favorite!I do not add the corn & sometimes I add 1 to 3 tablespoons of McCormick's chili powder, depending of how spicy we want it. And I do different variations of beans. Pinto, white with kidney. Or Kidney, white & pinto or black beans.My son who has always been a picky eater loves this chili!! In addition to the cheese, sour cream, cilantro, & onions, we add chili cheese Fritos. It is great without the toppings as well along with homemade cornbread. Yummy good!!!"
"I thought this was a decent base, but will need some tweaking. I only used 1/2 tbsp of chili powder and since I prefer a thicker chili I drained the tomatoes and only used about 1/3 of the can of chicken broth. I think next time I will add in some garlic salt (I didn't taste much garlic) and some other various spices (haven't figured out what yet). Otherwise, a decent, solid chili. We put ours over rice and top with cheddar cheese. Yum!"
"This is my families favorite chili recipe. My husband loves this makes it at least twice a month."
"This is a very simple and great tasting . healthy"
"Very easy to make and yummy."
"Very good & easy to make."
"Very good, will make again. Thanks for the recipe."
"Very delicious & very easy to make"
"good and easy"
"Very good! I doubled the black pepper and the cumin to give it more zip."
"I have already made this chili several times since printing the recipe. We love it, it's perfect!!!!"
"I loved this recipe. I used a red pepper instead of green. So easy to throw together!"
"excellent chilie. I never eat leftovers, bu I ate this three days in a row for lunch. was disapointed when I ran out. A week later I was craving this.. Will make double batch and freeze in single servings."
"I thought this was very good. I really enjoyed it."
"My husband and I loved this recipe, my children on the other hand didnt think it was very good."
"Made this for a potluck at work and every enjoyed."
"Great and easy recipe. I too left out the green pepper and used red instead."
"I made this for my Dad who was recently diagnosed w/ diabetes and he's having trouble changing his diet. He really liked this recipe. Everyone was very surprised! I did change just a few things: used red instead of green pepper, used fire roasted tomatoes and organic hot beans."
"I'm looking for healthier recipes to add to my menu and this one stood out and I had to try it. It is sweeter than my chili recipe but very good. I shared some with my parents and they both enjoyed it too! Dad asked for the recipe! This one is going in the book to make again soon! Next time I would add more pepper and maybe more chili powder, but that's only because of my own taste preference."