- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- In a large skillet, cook turkey and onion over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink, breaking up turkey into crumbles; drain if necessary. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in sugar, flour and pepper until blended.
Stir in ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and barbecue sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Spoon meat mixture onto bun bottoms; replace tops.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forFamily-Pleasing Sloppy Joes
"We all really enjoyed it. Not too sweet for us, but we do tend to like sweet things!"
"Pretty good...I put in some green pepper with the onion but you could add a little shredded zucchini and shredded carrot as well. I skipped the Worcestershire sauce as I do not care for the taste...didn't miss it."
"Certainly a family favorite. The best part is they don't even know they are eating turkey!"
"This was a little sweet, so I may cut back the sugar next time. I will never buy the canned sloppy joe sauce again!"
"I made this tonight but also add a handful of shredded carrot to the onion as I sauteed it. I also put the entire recipe in the crock pot to keep warm until dinner time. It was fabulous! My toddler ate it too!"
"This is a favorite in my household - exactly as written. We especially enjoy them on onion rolls."
"This was bland w a vinegar taste."