- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce
- 6 hamburger buns, split
- In a large skillet, cook turkey and onion over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink, breaking up turkey into crumbles; drain if necessary. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in sugar, flour and pepper until blended.
Stir in ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and barbecue sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Spoon meat mixture onto bun bottoms; replace tops.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forFamily-Pleasing Sloppy Joes
"Pretty good...I put in some green pepper with the onion but you could add a little shredded zucchini and shredded carrot as well. I skipped the Worcestershire sauce as I do not care for the taste...didn't miss it."
"Certainly a family favorite. The best part is they don't even know they are eating turkey!"
"This was a little sweet, so I may cut back the sugar next time. I will never buy the canned sloppy joe sauce again!"
"I made this tonight but also add a handful of shredded carrot to the onion as I sauteed it. I also put the entire recipe in the crock pot to keep warm until dinner time. It was fabulous! My toddler ate it too!"
"This is a favorite in my household - exactly as written. We especially enjoy them on onion rolls."
"This was bland w a vinegar taste."
"I would use one clove garlic instead of two"