Family Gathering Potatoes
This delicious Amish side dish always wins raves. Almost everyone comes back for second—or thirds!—JoLynn Hill, Roosevelt, Utah
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Bake: 55 min.
- 4 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 4 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2 pounds process American cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 4 cups sour cream
- 1-1/3 cups butter, divided
- 4 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 20 pounds potatoes, peeled, cubed and cooked
- 2 cups crushed Club crackers (about 40)
- In four Dutch ovens, combine soups, cheese, sour cream, 1 cup butter, seasoned salt, garlic power and pepper. Cook and stir until cheese is melted and mixture is smooth. Add potatoes; mix well. Transfer to four greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dishes (dishes will be full).
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-60 minutes or until bubbly. Melt remaining butter; toss with cracker crumbs. Sprinkle over potatoes. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until topping is lightly browned. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 208 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 403mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Family Gathering Potatoes in Taste of Home August/September 2000