Family-Favorite Sweet Potato Pie
My sweet potato pie recipe came from my great aunt. Both the taste and the aroma during baking are so enticing. —Laura Speck, North Little Rock, AR
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 2 small sweet potatoes (8 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pastry for single-crust deep-dish pie (9 inches)
- Sweetened whipped cream, optional
- Place potatoes in a small saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 30-40 minutes or until tender. Drain; cool potatoes slightly. Peel potatoes; return to pot. Mash until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, beat sweet potatoes, butter, sugars, pumpkin pie spice and salt. Beat in eggs, buttermilk and vanilla until smooth. Pour into pastry shell. Bake on the lowest oven rack 10 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 375°. Bake 30-40 minutes longer or until edges are puffed and center is just set. Cool on a wire rack; serve within 2 hours or refrigerate and serve cold. If desired, serve with whipped cream.
Pastry for single-crust deep-dish pie (9 inches): Combine 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour and 1/4 tsp. salt; cut in 2/3 cup cold butter until crumbly. Gradually add 3-6 Tbsp. ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
Originally published as Garvin's Delectable Sweet Potato Pie in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.