This recipe originally called for chili powder. But one day, I found I didn't have any and used barbecue sauce instead. All of our 10 children ask me to make this recipe whenever they come to visit. - Caye Watson, Sangudo, Alberta
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 5-1/2 cups water, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup cubed potatoes
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/2 pound ground beef, cooked and drained
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- In a large saucepan, combine 2 cups water, onion, carrots, potatoes, celery, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients; cover and simmer 30 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
Purchase firm bright-orange carrots without cracks or dry spots. Store in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Six medium carrots, yields about 3 cups sliced.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 154 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 625mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Family-Favorite Soup in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book