Family-Favorite Oven-Barbecued Spareribs
I am fortunate to have both a mother and a mother-in-law who are wonderful cooks. My husband's mother shared this recipe with me at least 30 years ago, and it's still my favorite way to fix ribs.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 2 hours
- 3/4 pound country-style pork ribs
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- Place ribs in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/2 hours. In a saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Pour sauce over ribs. Bake, uncovered, 30-45 minutes longer or until meat is tender.
Nutrition Facts3/4 pound: 544 calories, 28g fat (12g saturated fat), 150mg cholesterol, 1551mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 2g fiber), 41g protein.
Originally published as Oven-Barbecued Spareribs in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook