I am fortunate to have both a mother and a mother-in-law who are wonderful cooks. My husband's mother shared this recipe with me at least 30 years ago, and it's still my favorite way to fix ribs.
Recommended: Best Barbecued Ribs
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 pound country-style pork ribs
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- Place ribs in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/2 hours. In a saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Pour sauce over ribs. Bake, uncovered, 30-45 minutes longer or until meat is tender. Yield: 1 serving.
Originally published as Oven-Barbecued Spareribs in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook 2003, p196