Family-Favorite German Chocolate Pie
This chocolate pie has been a holiday tradition in our family for generations, and it's just as popular now as when my grandmother made it years ago!
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 4 ounces German sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 unbaked deep-dish pie shell (9 inches)
- 1-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- In a saucepan, combine chocolate and butter. Melt over low heat. Remove from the heat and blend in milk; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Blend in melted chocolate; pour into pie shell. Combine coconut and pecans; sprinkle on top of pie.
- Bake at 375° for 45 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 471 calories, 25g fat (12g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 222mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as German Chocolate Pie in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.