This chocolate pie has been a holiday tradition in our family for generations, and it's just as popular now as when my grandmother made it years ago!
Recommended: 23 of Our Most Decadent Chocolate Desserts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (4 ounces) German sweet chocolate
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 unbaked deep-dish pie shell (9 inches)
- 1-1/2 cups coconut
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- In a saucepan, combine chocolate and butter. Melt over low heat. Remove from the heat and blend in milk; set aside. In a mixing bowl, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Blend in melted chocolate; pour into pie shell. Combine coconut and pecans; sprinkle on top of pie. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as German Chocolate Pie in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook 1992, p82