When brushed with butter and baked over custard cups, Katie's spinach tortillas make crunchy bowls for lettuce salads topped with pork and peppers.
Recommended: 40 Tex-Mex Recipes Bursting With Southwestern Flavor
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 6 spinach tortillas
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound boneless pork loin chops, cut into thin strips
- 1 envelope fajita seasoning mix
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 sweet red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper, thinly sliced
- 4-1/2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- Place six 10-oz. custard cups upside down in a shallow baking pan; set aside. Brush both sides of tortillas with butter; place in a single layer on ungreased baking sheets. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 1 minute. Place a tortilla over each custard cup, pinching sides to form a bowl shape. Bake for 7-8 minutes or until crisp. Remove tortilla from cups to cool on wire racks.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork and seasoning mix; cook and stir until meat juices run clear. Remove pork with a slotted spoon. In the drippings, saute onion and peppers until crisp-tender. Place lettuce in tortilla bowls; top with pork, pepper mixture and tomato. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Fajita Tortilla Bowls in Quick Cooking March/April 2003, p10