Eyeball Subs Recipe
Add sliced pimiento-stuffed olives to the top of your meatballs and dinner will be looking at you. The sauce even makes it look bloody!
- 12 small submarine sandwich buns, split
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 medium green peppers, julienned
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) chili sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- Sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1. Hollow out bun bottoms, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. Crumble 1-1/4 cups removed bread and place in a large bowl. Cover buns with plastic wrap; set aside.
- 2. Add the egg, milk, chopped onion, salt and pepper to the bread. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. In a large skillet, cook meatballs in 1 tablespoon oil for 20-25 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove with a slotted spoon; set aside.
- 3. Add remaining oil to the skillet; saute green peppers and sliced onion until tender. Remove with a slotted spoon; set aside.
- 4. Stir flour into skillet. Add chili sauce and water; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes. Stir in brown sugar and mustard. Add meatballs, peppers and onion; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 5. Meanwhile, warm rolls in a 325° oven for 8-10 minutes. Spoon two meatballs and sauce into each roll; replace tops and garnish with olive slices for eyes. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Eyeball Subs
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC