Add sliced pimiento-stuffed olives to the top of your meatballs and dinner will be looking at you. The sauce even makes it look bloody! —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 12 small submarine sandwich buns, split
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 medium green peppers, julienned
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) chili sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- Sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
- Hollow out bun bottoms, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. Crumble 1-1/4 cups removed bread and place in a large bowl. Cover buns with plastic wrap; set aside.
- Add the egg, milk, chopped onion, salt and pepper to the bread. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls. In a large skillet, cook meatballs in 1 tablespoon oil for 20-25 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove with a slotted spoon; set aside.
- Add remaining oil to the skillet; saute green peppers and sliced onion until tender. Remove with a slotted spoon; set aside.
- Stir flour into skillet. Add chili sauce and water; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes. Stir in brown sugar and mustard. Add meatballs, peppers and onion; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, warm rolls in a 325° oven for 8-10 minutes. Spoon two meatballs and sauce into each roll; replace tops and garnish with olive slices for eyes.
Originally published as Meatball Sub Sandwiches in Ultimate Halloween 2012 Bookazine
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips