My family has fun serving this creamy soup to unsuspecting guests and watching their reaction when they stir up an onion "eyeball". You can make the soup a day ahead and reheat it in the slow cooker.
Recommended: 58 Halloween Potluck Recipes to Feed a Crowd
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 5 cups milk
- 1 bottle (46 ounces) V8 juice or spicy hot V8 juice
- 1 cup frozen pearl or small whole onions, thawed
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. In another saucepan, bring V8 to a boil. Reduce heat; gradually whisk in white sauce. Add onions; heat through. Yield: 10 servings (about 2-3/4 quarts).
Originally published as Eyeball Soup in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2003, p243
Reviews forEyeball Soup
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 31, 2008