Eye Spy Cookies
These cookies are reminiscent of old cartoons where eyes pop out in a dark room! They’re a cinch to make and doubly fun to decorate!—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- Neon purple and/or green food coloring
- Miniature milk chocolate kisses
- In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla. Combine flour and cornstarch; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Roll into 3/4-in. balls. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. With fingers, flatten to 1/4-in. thickness, forming eye shapes. For variety, shape some balls into logs, then flatten. Bake at 350° for 9-10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat butter and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Add enough lemon juice to achieve a spreading consistency. Beat in lemon peel. Tint frosting purple and/or neon green; frost cookies. Add kisses for pupils.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 64 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 24mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Eye Spy Cookies in Halloween Party Favorites 2008