Total TimePrep: 1-1/4 hours + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 3-1/2 dozen
- 1/3 cup sugar blend
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup almond paste
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, separated
- 1/4 teaspoon water
- 6 to 8 drops green food coloring
- 2 tablespoons sugar blend
- In a large bowl, beat sugar blend, butter and almond paste until well blended. Beat in the oil, egg, egg white and extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to butter mixture and mix well. Divide into two portions; cover and refrigerate for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Using a floured 2-1/2-in. round cookie cutter and a 1-1/2-in. shaped cookie cutter, cut an equal number of circles and shapes from dough.
- Place circles 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Brush one side of shapes with egg white; place egg white side down on circles. In a small bowl, combine the egg yolk, water and food coloring; brush over trees. Sprinkle with sugar blend.
- Bake at 400° for 6-8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks. Store in an airtight container.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Splenda sugar blend.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 70 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 42mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 4, 2008
Splenda makes a sugar blend for baking; actually they have two, a white sugar and a brown sugar. They come in a yellow sealed bag in the baking aisle of the grocery store.
Mar 21, 2008
What is the ingredient "sugar blend for baking"?