Espresso Shortbread Squares
I developed this recipe several years ago to leave for Santa on Christmas Eve. The delightful espresso offers a jolly jolt for his last-minute toy assembly!—Lisa Renshaw, Kansas City, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min./batch + cooling
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white baking chips
- 1/2 cup dried cherries, coarsely chopped
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- In a small bowl, dissolve espresso powder in hot water. In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla and dissolved espresso mixture. Gradually beat in flour. Stir in baking chips and cherries.
- On a sheet of plastic wrap, pat dough into a 10-in. square; wrap tightly and refrigerate at least 2 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Unwrap dough; cut into 2-in. squares. Place 1 in. apart on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Prick holes in each cookie with a fork. Bake 20-25 minutes or until set.
- Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Dust lightly with additional confectioners' sugar. Store in airtight containers.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.