Envelopes of Fudge
Sealed inside a golden crust is a delicious special delivery—a fudgy walnut filling that's almost like a brownie. These cookies are like two treats in one. —Donna Nowicki, Center City, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min./batch
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese until smooth. Gradually beat in flour. Shape into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- For filling, in a small bowl, beat butter, sugar and baking cocoa until blended. Beat in egg yolk, vanilla and salt. Stir in walnuts.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12-1/2-in. square; cut into twenty-five 2-1/2-in. squares.
- Place a rounded teaspoonful of filling in center of each square. Bring two opposite corners to center. Moisten edges with water and pinch to seal. Place 1 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets.
- Bake 18-22 minutes or until light brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Freeze option: Freeze cookies in freezer containers. To use, thaw before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 119 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 78mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Envelopes of Fudge in Country Woman Christmas 2000
Feb 7, 2015
Nice taste, but don't bake this long. Mine were hard and too done after 15" of baking.
Dec 4, 2013
These are easy and a nice addition to my plate of Christmas cookies!