- 5 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups warm orange juice (120° to 130°)
- 1/2 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- In a mixing bowl, combine 2 cups flour, yeast, sugar, cinnamon, salt and baking soda. Add orange juice, water and oil; beat on low speed until moistened. Beat on high for 3 minutes. Stir in the pecans, apricots and remaining flour to form a stiff batter. Do not knead. Greased two 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans; sprinkle with cornmeal. Spoon batter into pans; sprinkle with cornmeal. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Slice and toast. Yield: 2 loaves.
Reviews forEnglish Muffin Loaves
"This had a good flavor but it fell apart when cut which made it almost impossible to toast. I can't recommend this recipe."