English Muffin Bread
You can bake this bread either in clean coffee cans for a change of pace or regular loaf pans. This bread is really delicious when toasted.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makes3 loaves (16 slices each)
- 6 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups warm fat-free milk (120° to 130°)
- 1/2 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- In a large bowl, combine 3 cups flour, yeast, sugar, salt and baking soda. Add milk and water; mix well. Stir in remaining flour (batter will be soft). Do not knead.
- Sprinkle three greased 8x4-in. loaf pans with cornmeal. Spoon batter into pans; sprinkle cornmeal on top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 62 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 101mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Originally published as English Muffin Bread in Country Woman November/December 1996
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.