VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup ground toasted hazelnuts
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening, divided
- 3/4 cup vanilla or white chips
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugars. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa and salt; add to creamed mixture. Stir in hazelnuts. Divide dough in half. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Working with one portion of dough at a time, roll to 1/4-in. thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut with a 2-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 9-10 minutes (cookies will be soft). Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon shortening; stir until smooth. Repeat with vanilla chips and remaining shortening. Dip right side of half of the cookies in semisweet chocolate; dip the left side of remaining cookies in white chocolate. Overlap two hearts before the chocolate is set. Place on waxed paper until set. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Engaging Heart Cookies in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2002, p189