Energizing Granola Recipe
- 2-1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup unsalted sunflower kernels
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup dried banana chips
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. In a small saucepan, combine the water, honey, molasses and oil. Heat for 3-4 minutes over medium until heated through. Remove from the heat; stir in the vanilla, salt and cinnamon. Pour over the oat mixture; stir to coat.
- 2. Transfer to a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring every 10 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack. Stir in dried fruits. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 6 cups.
1/2 cup: 260 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 110mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Reviews for Energizing Granola
"Delicious! Just made this and it is awesome!"
"I make double batches and eat it in a bowl with milk or mix it with my yogurt."
"Great recipe! I have to make a double batch to make it last. Very good on yogurt or just plain to snack on."
"I put 2-3 tablespoons on my Kashi cereal every morning for breakfast. It is really worth trying."
"Love this recipe!"
"Just as good if not better than store bought but I feel better about eating this. It was easy to make and 30min was just enough time. I use mine on top of yogurt or add other goodies like choc. chips to make trail mix for the kids."
"Has anyone tried adding almonds to this recipe?"
"I have tried so many granola recipes and this one finally did it for me! The only thing I left out was the banana chips as they are not my favorite. Love this recipe!"
"delicious! I actually baked mine the full length of time but did stir it often....didn't burn at all.."
"Mine almost burned, too. I will make again, only the next time I'll try 250 instead of 350 degrees and see how it goes."
"My 2 year old helped make this and it was a great activity for her! But...my granola almost burned after cooking only 18 minutes. I rescued it and it turned out well. I made some with chocolate chips, some with dates and banana chips and left some plain. We will do this again for sure."
"This recipe was great"
"I really liked this granola. I did add extra fruit and nuts. I sometimes mix it with yogurt, or just eat a handful or mix it with other breakfast cereal."
"This recipe didn't do much for me."