The conclusion of the growing season is just the beginning of this garden-fresh hot dish from Kathy Crow of Payson, Arizona. Packed with potatoes, onions, eggplant, tomatoes, zucchini and more, there's a harvest of vitamins and minerals in every forkful. The recipe makes a lot, so you can share the bounty.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1 pound medium potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and sliced
- 1 pound medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- Layer half of the first 10 ingredients in a 3-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Repeat layers. Pour water over the top. Cover and bake at 375° for 60-75 minutes or until tender. Uncover; bake 5 minutes longer or until lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 140 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 311mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as End-of-the-Garden Casserole in Light & Tasty August/September 2004