End-Of-Summer Tomato Salad
If you're looking for new ways to use up tomatoes in the garden, be sure to try this recipe. It's one of our favorites.—Carol Birkemeier, Nashville, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 8 small tomatoes (2 pounds), sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped ripe olives
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Leaf lettuce, optional
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- Arrange tomatoes in a 13-in. x 9-in. dish; sprinkle with olives. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the oil, vinegar, mustard, sugar, garlic, salt and pepper; shake well. Pour over tomatoes.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight, turning tomatoes occasionally. Serve on lettuce if desired. Sprinkle with parsley and onions.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 98 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 589mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as End-Of-Summer Tomato Salad in Light & Tasty August/September 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.