VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 each medium green, sweet red and yellow peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 medium onions, quartered
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 small head cabbage, cut into wedges
- 2-3/4 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- Cooked sausage or meat of your choice
- In a food processor, cover and process the vegetables in batches until finely chopped. Drain vegetables and discard liquid.
- In a stockpot, bring vinegar, sugar, water, salt, mustard seed and celery seed to a boil. Add vegetables; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 1 hour or until thickened. Store in airtight containers in the refrigerator up to 1 week. Serve with sausage or other meat. Yield: 12 cups.
Originally published as End-of-Summer Relish in Canning & Preserving 2014 Bookazine 2014, p102