- 7 large cucumbers, shredded
- 3 large onions, finely chopped
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, finely chopped
- 5 tablespoons salt
- 5 cups sugar
- 3 cups white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- Toss first five ingredients; let stand 3 hours. Drain; squeeze and blot dry with paper towels.
- In a Dutch oven, mix sugar, vinegar, celery seed and mustard seed; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes. Add vegetables; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes.
- Ladle hot mixture into hot 1-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 20 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 6 pints.
Reviews forEnd of Garden Relish
"I made this relish twice and is very good. It is quite sweet so second time reduced sugar to 3 cups and still excellent. Will be sure to make again next year."