It's customary in the Southwest to serve fried eggs on top of enchiladas. In this recipe, fried eggs and a meaty enchilada sauce tip golden pancakes for a tasty twist.—Marilyn Olander, Tucson, Arizona
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- Salt to taste
- 4 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/3 cups cornmeal
- 4 cups whole milk
- 12 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sliced green onions
- In a saucepan, cook beef and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce and salt. Bring to a boil Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the biscuit mix, flour and cornmeal. Pour bater by 1/2 cupfuls onto a greased hot griddle; spread to 6-in. diameter. Turn when bubbles form on top of pancakes. Cook until the second side is golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, fry eggs until center is completely set. Place two eggs on two pancakes. Top with meat mixture, cheese and onions.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 515 calories, 22g fat (9g saturated fat), 257mg cholesterol, 900mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as Enchilada Pancakes in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book