It's customary in the Southwest to serve fried eggs on top of enchiladas. In this recipe, fried eggs and a meaty enchilada sauce tip golden pancakes for a tasty twist.—Marilyn Olander, Tucson, Arizona
Recommended: 38 Cast-Iron Skillet Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- Salt to taste
- 4 cups biscuit/baking mix
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/3 cups cornmeal
- 4 cups milk
- 12 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sliced green onions
- In a saucepan, cook beef and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce and salt. Bring to a boil Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the biscuit mix, flour and cornmeal. Pour bater by 1/2 cupfuls onto a greased hot griddle; spread to 6-in. diameter. Turn when bubbles form on top of pancakes. Cook until the second side is golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, fry eggs until center is completely set. Place two eggs on two pancakes. Top with meat mixture, cheese and onions. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Enchilada Pancakes in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p297
Reviews forEnchilada Pancakes
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 16, 2011
"Good recipe but very tedious to make. Need to insure you have the time do it or have plenty of help around"
Reviewed Dec. 10, 2007