Enchilada Meatballs Recipe
- 2 cups crumbled corn bread
- 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the corn bread, 1/2 cup enchilada sauce and salt. Crumble beef over mixture; mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls.
- 2. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat tomato sauce and remaining enchilada sauce. Drain meatballs; place in a serving dish. Top with sauce and sprinkle with cheese. Serve with toothpicks. Yield: about 4-1/2 dozen.
3 each: 46 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 103mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Enchilada Meatballs
"As-is, these were decent, tasty meatballs. I cut the recipe in half, and made the meatballs a little larger. When making the meatballs, I used 1/4C of the enchilada sauce (since I cut the recipe in half), but then for the sauce I used the remainder of entire can (cutting in half, the recipe would then call for 3oz, but I instead used 8oz). I think that helped fix part of the flavor issue others mentioned. Even then, though, the sauce itself was pretty mild. I might just do straight-up enchilada sauce next time without cutting it with tomato sauce. Or perhaps add in some chili powder. Because my meatballs were larger, they took a lot longer to cook (somewhere around 35-40 minutes). I sauteed red & green bell pepper and some onion in oil until crisp-tender. I then put the cooked meatballs over steamed rice, topped it with the sauteed peppers, put the sauce on top, then put the cheese on top of that, all to make it a more complete meal. We LOVED it that way! I highly recommend trying it that way, if you can. With my addition, we would rate it 5 stars, but since I'm rating the recipe as-is, it would be 4 stars. Thanks!"
"Very tasty, a different twist on your standard meatballs. Great for a Mexican themed party!"
"Meatballs were tasty, but the sauce needs more flavor-- if that were improved it would be much better."
"YUMMY these were a delicious hit!! I added another can of enchilada sauce and a chopped onion to the sauce. Versatile and tasty meatball, recipe was requested by all :)"
"Made this for my sister's bridal shower and it was a hit! Making for dinner tonight. Thanks for sharing it."
"Great crowd pleaser with this recipe!"
"I live in NM and make my own red chile sauce and keep some in the freezer. So I used my own instead of the canned sauce. That's the only change I made. Next best thing to enchiladas themselves!"
"These were delicious served with a side of spanish rice. Extra sauce gave extra flavor."
"I always get compliments when I serve these."
"I've made these a number of times for different events. There are never any leftovers!"
"my family loves these!!easy and yummy!!!"
"I made these at Christmas! They were a big hit."