Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons enchilada sauce mix
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup coarsely crushed corn chips
- Additional corn chips, optional
- Place onion in a microwave-safe bowl; cover and microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Crumble beef over onion and mix well. Cover and cook on high for 4-6 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, stirring once; drain.
- Stir in the tomato juice, tomato paste, green chilies and sauce mix. Spread half of beef mixture in a 2-qt. microwave-safe dish; sprinkle with 1 cup cheese. Top with remaining beef mixture. Cover and microwave for 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
- Sprinkle with crushed corn chips and remaining cheese. Microwave 1 minute longer or until cheese is melted. Serve with additional corn chips if desired.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 483 calories, 27g fat (14g saturated fat), 106mg cholesterol, 1245mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 5g fiber), 38g protein.
Dec 3, 2015
This was just ok. I did not use the microwave. I made this on the stovetop and just threw it in the oven after putting on the cheese and chips for 15 minutes. Good with a dollop of sour cream on top.
Oct 1, 2011
I have made this dish twice. Very tasty! However, I didn't make it in the microwave. I browned the onion and hamburger on the stove, then put it in a baking dish and baked it for 15 min in the oven. I also put some corn chips on the bottom and in the middle layer. Great leftovers for me to take to work.
Aug 27, 2011
This dish did not have a bad taste, however I thought it was more like home made hamburger helper.
Feb 16, 2010
We thought these dish was very good.We love Mexican, though.The chips really added to the taste.
Jan 30, 2010
I made this and wasn't sure if my family would like it. They scarfed it down immediately. Big hit.
Mar 12, 2009
Very easy, my family loved it. I served it with a salad and Spanish rice.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.