These mint chicken pockets are one of my favorite appetizers because they can be made ahead of time and frozen. So they're a perfect snack when unexpected company drops in.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breast halves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese or Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Pastry for 2 double-crust pies
- 1/4 cup milk
- In a large skillet, saute chicken in oil for 7-8 minutes or until juices run clear. Sprinkle with cumin. Chop into very small pieces and place in a bowl. Add chilies and cheese. Sprinkle with flour; toss to coat.
- Turn pastry dough onto a floured surface; roll to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-in. round cutter. Fill each circle with about 1 tablespoon of filling. Wet edges of circle with water. Fold half of pastry over filling; seal with fingers, then press with the tines of a fork. Repeat until all filling is used.
- Place on a greased baking sheet. Brush lightly with milk. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Editor's Note: Empanditas may be frozen after sealing. Brush with milk and bake for 30-35 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 126 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 115mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Empanditas in Country Chicken Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.