Emerald Isle Pea Soup with Tarragon Cream
This elegant and easy soup evokes memories of our honeymoon in Ireland and has become a true family favorite. The tarragon spice makes it taste so bright and springy. —Sharon Marks, Waukesha, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1 cup dried green split peas
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 to 4 tarragon sprigs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh tarragon
- Place first eight ingredients in a 4-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until peas are tender, 4-5 hours.
- Remove tarragon sprigs. Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or, cool slightly and puree soup in batches in a blender; return to slow cooker and heat through.
- Whisk whipping cream until slightly thickened. Whisk in sour cream and tarragon. Serve with soup. Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup soup with 4 teaspoons tarragon cream: 198 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 762mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 9g fiber), 12g protein.
Originally published as Emerald Isle Split Green Pea Soup with Tarragon Cream in Simple & Delicious April/May 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.