VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup dried green split peas
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 to 4 tarragon sprigs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh tarragon
- Place first eight ingredients in a 4-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until peas are tender, 4-5 hours.
- Remove tarragon sprigs. Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or, cool slightly and puree soup in batches in a blender; return to slow cooker and heat through.
Whisk whipping cream until slightly thickened. Whisk in sour cream and tarragon. Serve with soup.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan. Yield: 6 servings
Originally published as Emerald Isle Pea Soup with Tarragon Cream in Simple & Delicious April/May 2018