Emerald Isle Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk or Irish whiskey
- Green food coloring, optional
- Slivered almonds, optional
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk. Beat until smooth. Spread into a greased 9-in. square baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. For glaze, combine confectioners' sugar and milk or whiskey until smooth and fairly thin. If desired, stir in 1 to 2 drops food coloring until blended. Spread glaze over warm cake. Sprinkle with almonds if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 257 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 259mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 20, 2014
This cake is ok, not great. It looked beautiful, cut nicely, just too bland for me.
Mar 21, 2012
I made this exactly as the recipe is written. I used milk for the glaze but not the food coloring. This is a delicious little cake. It is easy to make too. And it did taste even better the next day.
Mar 4, 2009
I didn't use the glaze, but used a few tablespoons of leftover vanilla frosting warmed and drizzled over the cake. Also, I added 1/2 tsp. each cinnamon and nutmeg, and 1/4 tsp. ground cloves to the dry ingredients. My family loved the cake and we ate it while it was still slightly warm. I agree that it tastes even better the next day, especially with the added spices. Next time I'm going to reduce the butter by 2 Tbsp. and substitute applesauce. This is a tasty and inexpensive cake that tops off a weekday dinner beautifully!
Jan 8, 2008
I don't add food coloring to the glaze and use milk instead of the whiskey. My husband doesn't like nuts in or on anything, so I omit them and the cake is still one of our favorites. I also use the cake to make pineapple upside down cake and strawberry shortbread. Unlike lighter textured cakes, it is substantial enough to stand up to the toppings and (we think) tastes even better the next day!