Elizabeth’s Pumpkin Pie
In my ice cream-loving husband's opinion, traditional pumpkin pie can't compare with this melt-in-your-mouth version.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + freezing Cook: 10 min. + cooling
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- Spread ice cream into pastry shell. Cover and freeze until firm. In a bowl, combine pumpkin, sugar, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg; fold in whipped cream. Pour evenly over ice cream; cover and freeze until firm.
- For syrup, combine brown sugar, water and corn syrup in saucepan; bring to a boil. Boil for 4-5 minutes, stirring often. Cool; stir in extracts. Drizzle over pie.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 519 calories, 25g fat (14g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 334mg sodium, 72g carbohydrate (50g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Elizabeth's Pumpkin Pie in Country Woman Christmas 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.