Elegant Vegetable Casserole
Please everyone at the table with this innovative and space-saving dish. Three traditional sides line up to create a tasty, eye-appealing medley. —Virginia C. Anthony, Jacksonville, Florida
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Bake: 50 min.
Makes14 servings (1 cup each)
- PARSNIP POTATOES:
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 4 medium)
- 4 medium parsnips, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon fat-free milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1-1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 small onion, grated
- Place potatoes and parsnips in a large saucepan; cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain. Mash with sour cream, milk and salt; set aside.
- Place squash in another large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain. Mash with salt and nutmeg; set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and salt. Stir in the spinach, cheese, bread crumbs and onion.
- Place half of parsnip potatoes at one end of a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Add squash to dish, forming a stripe. Repeat with spinach. Place remaining parsnip potatoes at opposite end of dish. (Dish will be full.)
- Cover and bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in the spinach reads 160°.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 183 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 410mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 6g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Sep 2, 2012
Colorful way to get veggies in
Dec 23, 2008
I took this as a side dish for my family gathering (siblings and parents as well as fussy eaters) at Thanksgiving and was asked to bring again for Christmas. Absolutely delicious!