Elegant Scalloped Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 8 large baking potatoes
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 to 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3-1/2 cups whole milk
- 12 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1/3 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- Scrub and pierce potatoes; place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on high for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly.
- In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the process cheese and bacon; stir until cheese is melted. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- Cut potatoes into 1/4-in. slices. Place a third of the slices in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; top with a third of the cheese sauce. Repeat layers twice. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and onions.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Jan 3, 2011
This recipe is delicious. Because I baked it with something else, I baked it at 375 degrees instead of 350. It was perfect!
Jul 4, 2009
I made this recipe yesterday and my family loved it. I baked this dish 35 minutes instead of just 15 minutes. I'll be making this dish often.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.