Elegant Scalloped Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 8 large baking potatoes
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 to 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3-1/2 cups whole milk
- 12 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1/3 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- Scrub and pierce potatoes; place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave on high for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Cool slightly.
- In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add the process cheese and bacon; stir until cheese is melted. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- Cut potatoes into 1/4-in. slices. Place a third of the slices in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; top with a third of the cheese sauce. Repeat layers twice. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and onions.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 3, 2011
This recipe is delicious. Because I baked it with something else, I baked it at 375 degrees instead of 350. It was perfect!
Jul 4, 2009
I made this recipe yesterday and my family loved it. I baked this dish 35 minutes instead of just 15 minutes. I'll be making this dish often.