Elegant Omelet Loaf
I first tried this one-of-a-kind sandwich loaf at a party and asked for the recipe. Now I make it both for special brunches and everyday meals.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 unsliced round loaf (1 pound) French bread
- 8 bacon strips, diced
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 small sweet red pepper, julienned
- 5 large eggs
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cut a thin slice off the top of the bread; set aside. Hollow out bottom half, leaving a 1/2-in. shell. (Discard removed bread or save for another use.) In a large skillet, cook bacon and mushrooms until bacon is crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon; set aside. Discard all but 1 tablespoon drippings. Saute red pepper in drippings until crisp-tender. Remove with a slotted spoon; set aside. Lightly beat eggs with milk, chives and pepper; add to skillet along with reserved bacon mixture. Cook and stir gently until eggs are set; remove from the heat. Place bread shell on a large sheet of heavy-duty foil. Spoon half of egg mixture into shell; sprinkle with half of the red pepper and half of the cheese. Repeat layers. Replace bread top and wrap bread tightly with foil. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until filling is heated through. Let stand for 5 minutes; cut into wedges.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 531 calories, 30g fat (12g saturated fat), 221mg cholesterol, 924mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 21g protein.
Originally published as Elegant Omelet Loaf in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook