- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Dash salt
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen French-style green beans, thawed
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup crushed French-fried onions
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small skillet, saute water chestnuts, onion and mushrooms in 2 tablespoons butter 4-5 minutes or until crisp-tender; set aside.
- In large skillet, melt remaining butter; stir in flour until smooth. Stir in milk, broth, soy sauce, pepper sauce and salt. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in green beans and cheese.
- Spoon half of the bean mixture into a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Layer with water chestnut mixture and remaining bean mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, 45 minutes. Top with French-fried onions. Bake 5 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forElegant Green Beans
"Better than regular green bean casserole, also less sodium (we use fresh mushrooms).. We have this every Thanksgiving. Someone asked if this can be made ahead of time. We make the sauce ahead of time, then on Thanksgiving, heat up the beans add the sauce, and Onions on top, If you make the whole thing ahead of time, wait to add onions as they get soggy."
"I made this to take to a friend's house for Thanksgiving and everyone loved and couldn't get enough!"
"Can you make this ahead of time?"
"This was good as far as green bean casseroles go!"
"This was truly a magnificent dish, everyone at the table raved about it. Green Bean casserole will finally be returned to the holiday table. Loved it to bits!"
"This was a hit at Thanksgiving so we are making it again for Easter! The water chestnuts add that extra pizzaz!"