Elegant Dipped Cherries
Total TimePrep: 1-1/4 hours + freezing
- 1 jar (10 ounces) maraschino cherries with stems, well drained
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 2 teaspoons half-and-half cream
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup white baking chips
- 2-1/2 teaspoons shortening, divided
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Pat cherries dry with paper towels and set aside. In a large bowl, combine butter, corn syrup, unsweetened chocolate and cream. Stir in confectioners' sugar.
- Knead until smooth. Roll into 18 balls; flatten each into a 2-in. circle. Wrap each circle around a cherry and lightly roll in hands. Place cherries, stem side up, in a shallow waxed paper-lined container. Cover and freeze at least 2 hours.
- The day before serving, remove the cherries from freezer. In a microwave, melt white baking chips and 1-1/2 teaspoons shortening; stir until smooth.
- Holding onto the stem, dip each cherry into white baking chips, allowing excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set.
- Melt chocolate chips and remaining shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over candies. Refrigerate until firm. Store candies in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 182 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 32mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Dec 5, 2012
These are delish and always look so pretty. They are a holiday tradition at our house.
Dec 19, 2011
I make these every year by request. Always a favorite.
Jul 14, 2010
My daughter has made these many times for special occasions. We have had them dipped in the white chocolate and also semi sweet chocolate chips- we like the chocolate chips best- I made a mix for this past batch we made- delicious and beautifully elegant- true to the recipe name.
Jan 1, 2010
These are beautiful and delicious.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.