There is something delightfully simple, yet so satisfying about homemade chocolate mousse. Garnish individual servings with fresh berries or chocolate shavings. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
Recommended: Holiday Cheesecake Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 10 ounces German sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan, heat 1-1/2 cups cream and sugar over medium heat until bubbles form around sides of pan. Whisk a small amount of the hot mixture into the egg yolks.
- Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat. Stir in chocolate and vanilla. Transfer to a large bowl; refrigerate until chilled.
- In a small bowl, beat remaining cream until stiff peaks form; fold into chocolate mixture. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Elegant Chocolate Mousse in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2012, p60