- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3 Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Whipped cream and additional chopped pecans, optional
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, oil, eggs and milk. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually add to egg mixture until well blended. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a heavy small saucepan, combine caramels and water. Cook and stir over low heat until smooth. Add pecans. Cool slightly. Cut the cake into squares; drizzle with warm caramel sauce. Top with whipped cream and pecans if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews forElegant Chocolate Cake
"This cake is so simple to make but presents so elegant. One of my favorite cakes to make."