Artichokes add an elegant touch to any meal. This recipe has a special twist with the addition of a tangy lemon dressing. — Pat Stevens, Granbury, Texas
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min. + chilling
Makes5 servings (1-3/4 cups dip)
- 5 medium artichokes
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 medium lemons, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- LEMON-PEPPER DIP:
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onion
- Cut off stem at base of artichoke. Cut 1 in. from the top. With scissors, snip the tip end of each leaf. Remove outer leaves. Rub cut ends of leaves with lemon juice.
- Place artichokes in a Dutch oven; add lemon slices and garlic. Cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes or until artichoke leaves near the center pull out easily. Drain; arrange on a serving platter. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- For dip, in a bowl, whisk the oil, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper. Stir in green pepper and onion. Serve with artichokes.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 472 calories, 44g fat (6g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 667mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 7g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Elegant Artichokes in Country Extra May 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.