El Sombrero Corn Bread Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups cornmeal
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, corn, sour cream and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in 1 cup cheese and jalapenos.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm. Yield: 9 servings.
1 piece: 365 calories, 24g fat (8g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 535mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Reviews for El Sombrero Corn Bread
"I liked that this corn bread included some other ingredients besides just cornmeal and flour like so many others, but for us, the taste just didn't come together. Maybe it needed more salt, or more cornmeal ( I was a little low and substituted with flour), but it did come out a bit mushy and greasy. Sorry, not a fan."
"Horrible. Came out swimming in grease, and was coarse and crumbly. Just awful. Flavor was not good."
"It needed to cook longer than the recipe states. There was a whole lot of cheese in this bread but it didn't enhance the recipe. I wanted to love it and even used it as my weight watchers cheat! So not worth it!"
"I keep looking for the perfect corn bread recipe. This was not it for us. Too much cheese."
"i didn't like the "bite". also, it turned out crumbley, maybe i did something wrong. my search for the perfect corn bread continues ..."
"the best i've ever had very moist a eazy to make"
"This turned out so moist. Next day even better, surprisingly. Make sure you finely chop your jalepenos so the "bite" is just perfect..."
"This is a great recipe. Made it tonight to go with Crock Pot Bean soup. We used only one Jalapeno Pepper, but will stretch to 2 the next time I make this. I used Sharp Cheddar Cheese. I will make this again. My Husband Loved it. It is very Moist and Tasty."
"This was the best cornbread I have made, the peppers and cheese make it very flavorful. Went perfect with my hearty chili!"
"Excellent recipe. This corn bread is so moist that I ate mine with a spoon. It is very good left over, too."