Eggs Florentine Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + standing
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 12 large eggs
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain and transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- In same skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and mushrooms; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until tender. Stir in spinach. Spoon vegetable mixture over sausage.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs and milk until blended; pour egg mixture over vegetables. Sprinkle with cheeses and paprika. Bake, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until the center is set and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 271 calories, 20g fat (9g saturated fat), 226mg cholesterol, 344mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 16g protein.
Jun 11, 2019
We eat "breakfast for dinner" alot in our home. This was a fantastic dish, hearty enough for an evening meal. I liked someone's suggestion to use green chilies, may try next time. I used a spicy bulk sausage, so it had a kick to it. Will be making again soon!
Feb 14, 2019
This is so tasty and makes a great leftover. Thanks for sharing!
Dec 22, 2018
I love this, but I substitute Poke Salad for the spinach. Poke Salad has a better, more intense flavor than spinach.
Jan 20, 2018
I loved this! We recently started doing keto and this recipe fit right in. I did use half and half in place of the 2 % milk to lower the carbs even more to make it even more keto friendly. It was delicious!
Jun 8, 2017
Enjoyed this variation of classic "egg bake" recipes. I especially liked that it did not contain any bread since we have been eating "grain free". So many have bread cubes in. I chose to add green pepper for added flavor and veggie content, and it was good. Will definitely make this again.
Feb 12, 2017
Delicious and easy! I blend a little bit of cottage cheese with the eggs and use less milk. This is a keeper!
Dec 25, 2016
Yum! So glad I added a can of green chilies to give this some kick. I only had a 16oz bag of spinach, so I baked mine for 15 minutes at 375, then another 35 minutes at 350 and it was perfectly done. Definitely keeping this one around.
Dec 23, 2016
Very good. I make it for a church brunch and it went over very well. I put it together the night before and baked in the morning. I did add three shredded potatoes for a little extra body and baked as directed.
Dec 6, 2016
I made this when friends came over for breakfast and it was delicious. It got rave reviews.
Jan 13, 2016
I loved this recipe and so did my family. I used mild italian instead of the pork sausage and it tasted great.