Tomato and asparagus dress up this traditional egg dish and make it seem special. My family loves this version of Eggs Benedict. Gouda cheese gives it an awesome smoky flavor. —Marla Clark, Moriarty, Mew Mexico
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 8 fresh asparagus spears, trimmed and halved
- 4 eggs
- 3-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 ounces smoked Gouda cheese, shredded
- 2 English muffins, split and toasted
- 4 slices tomato
- 4 slices Canadian bacon
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Place asparagus in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- In a large skillet, bring 2-3 in. of water to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer gently. Break cold eggs, one at a time, into a custard cup. Holding the cup close to the surface of the water, slip eggs into simmering water. Cook, uncovered, for 3-5 minutes or until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted.
- With a slotted spoon, lift poached eggs out of water. On each muffin half, place a slice of tomato, a slice of Canadian bacon, a poached egg and four pieces of asparagus. Top each with about 3 tablespoons cheese sauce. Sprinkle with pepper. Serve immediately.