Eggs Benedict with Homemade Hollandaise
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- Dash white pepper
- 8 large eggs
- 4 English muffins, split and toasted
- 8 slices Canadian bacon, warmed
- For hollandaise sauce, in top of a double boiler or a metal bowl over simmering water, whisk egg yolks, water and lemon juice until blended; cook until mixture is just thick enough to coat a metal spoon and temperature reaches 160°, whisking constantly. Remove from heat. Very slowly drizzle in warm melted butter, whisking constantly. Whisk in pepper. Transfer to a small bowl if necessary. Place bowl in a larger bowl of warm water. Keep warm, stirring occasionally, until ready to serve, up to 30 minutes.
- Place 2-3 in. of water in a large saucepan or skillet with high sides. Bring to a boil; adjust heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Break 1 egg into a small bowl; holding bowl close to surface of water, slip egg into water. Repeat with 3 more eggs.
- Cook, uncovered, 2-4 minutes or until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard. Using a slotted spoon, lift eggs out of water. Repeat with remaining 4 eggs.
- Top each muffin half with a slice of bacon, a poached egg and 2 tablespoons sauce; sprinkle with paprika. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 345 calories, 26g fat (14g saturated fat), 331mg cholesterol, 522mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 13g protein.
Feb 11, 2019
This was very easy to make and very yummy! I cut down the lemon juice just out of personal preference. I cooked the eggs first, put them in ice water, then put them back in simmering water to reheat after the sauce was done. It made it a little less hectic. I will definitely make again
Oct 7, 2018
Fantastic recipe! I use milk instead of water and add a pinch or two of cayenne to the hollandaise. Always have to double the recipe for my crowd. Should there be any left over, use on roasted or grilled veggies. One of my all time favorite breakfast / brunch meals.
Jan 30, 2017
This is delicious sauce. I found out I didn't have English muffins so I used bagels. Also I halted the recipe.