Eggplant with Mushroom Stuffing
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 small eggplant
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Cut eggplant in half lengthwise; scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-in.-thick shell. Set shell aside. Chop pulp; place in a colander over a plate. Sprinkle with salt; let stand for 30 minutes. Blot moisture with a paper towel.
- In a skillet, saute eggplant pulp and onion in butter until tender. Add the bread crumbs, mushrooms, parsley and pepper. Spoon into eggplant shells.
- Place in a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 414 calories, 31g fat (19g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 3941mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 6g fiber), 12g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 17, 2015
This was way too salty to eat. Blotting the moisture didn't seem to help.
Aug 29, 2014
This dish was pretty good. I also made it in a casserole, but used mozzarella cheese because that's what I had on hand. Don't make the mistake I did and forget to blot the extra moisture from the eggplant after draining - it was way too salty. Next time I might add some chopped celery to the veg mixture to give it a little more crunch.
Oct 1, 2012
easy enough for me and delicious!:)
Sep 2, 2012
This was delicious and my family loved it! I ended up just making in a small casserole dish and served as a side with chicken, but could easily be a vegetarian meal.